Sunday 17 March 2013

Chamber Music and Fire

Only in France are we turned out into"le soleil" during a refreshment interval of a classical music concert!  Under a crystal blue sky, necessitating that our coats, hats and scarves are braced around us do we sip apple juice, sparkling or still, with mini portions of quiche, florentine, chocolatey fudge type thingy, or broyeau biscuits (a local recipe).
At château de Cremault, Bonneuil-Matours there was a performance of piano, violin and 'cello:
❦Haydn Trio Hob.XV:25 'à la hongroise' en Sol Majeur in 3 movements - 
Andante-Poco - Adagio - Presto
❦Beethoven Trio op 70 n°1 'les esprits' en Ré Majeur in 3 movements - 
Allegro vivace e con brio - Largo assai ed espressivo - Presto
❦Mendelssohn Trio op 49 n°1 en ré mineur in 4 movements -                                                   Molto Allegro agitato - Andante con molto tranquillo - Scherzo Leggiero e vivace - Allegro assai appassionato                                                                                                                    ❦Rachmaninov Trio élégiaque n°1 en sol mineur
Very nice to be out and about and lovely to see a 5 year old child present though not listening, hear an American speaking French and two ladies speaking English. Average age for the audience .... 75!!!!!! ha-ah and ho-oh!

FIRE
There was a terrible sight at Archigny on my return journey. I showed caution  but having made a risk assessment, whilst others parked to watch, I felt that I could continue my journey. As I got nearer, the fireman signalled to pass. There were at least 5 engines; one with a cherry picker carrying two firefighters pouring gallons of water at roof level into the house. Well, there was no roof.  I presume a chimney fire started the destruction.  Poor souls! Hopefully no one was injured or killed. It was quite upsetting.  On Thursday late morning two fire-engines were at the local garagiste! A chimney fire. My friend had a chimney fire in February and the previous February.
I wonder if the severe cold causes a thermal shock so that wood-tar ignites. I know the problems with the installation of my woodburner were not my fault but the cold wet chimney created smoke in my lounge when I tried to light it. It was brand new.  However, the woodburner is now very efficient. Even so, I don't like the way it slumbers when there is not sufficient wind or when it is very cold.  I like to get it roaring at least once a day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.