Friday 8 March 2013

March madness

The VMC developed "a sound" in January and since I was going away,  I informed the electrician that he could repair it on my return. It had been installed in the attic with a hanging loop of tube which collected condensed water.  In January it was disconnected, the water removed,  but we considered there might be another loop. It's difficult to describe but the fitter had taken the tube the longest route forming a huge C shape!
The company boss, not the man who installed it, arrived and admonished me for not running it 24 hours each day.  Fair enough, I can understand his logic. When I protested that it would withdraw the heat from the room, he explained that thermic shock is created in the winter when turning off the electrical supply. The tube is exposed to cold air in the attic and steam that is travelling upwards which has not yet evacuated into the environmental air, gets condensed. In the summer, he says it is OK to turn it off after 3 to 5 hours following someone having a shower or bath.  He thought that as it only costs 30e per year to run 24 hours x 365, it should not be a problem!  Although I spoke about saving the planet and my purse, he shrugged his shoulders in the Gallic manner, and said that until recently there wasn't another option in France!!!!!! Hmph!!!! He argued the advantage that new air was being drawn into the room as it has no opening window.  Point taken I suppose! I cannot dispute with such a charming man!
He re-connected the tube to the extractor machine. Thank goodness I took him into the bathroom and switched it on because the sound was even louder.  He commented that there was another loop filled with water!  Into the attic the fragile wood flooring was removed AGAIN, new holes cut into it and into the wood flooring that was below that floor level, yet above the ceiling of the bathroom.  My friend helped by sawing various access holes, being careful not to cut any floor supporting timber, nor any beams. Then the electrician carefully smashed a hole through the terracotta brick suspended ceiling that we'd left in situ when we lowered the ceiling of the bathroom.  Now the flexible pipe could be withdrawn from its former position, taken vertically upwards with no twists, turns or hanging loops of pipe, thereby shortening the tube and distance that the steam has to travel.  He also adjusted the VMC vanes so that less warm air is extracted.  His employee had not set it with that option!  It is now working silently.

Meanwhile the chaos upstairs has been left until Monday when we can reposition the flooring whilst removing stones, bricks, pieces of fibreglass, nibbled walnuts and animal nesting material! ..... I hate to know that there is a mess hidden unseen behind walls or floors of buildings!!!!!   There is about a metre of space between the ceiling of the bathroom and the attic floor.
In addition, the leak below the bath doesn't seem to have an explanation and does not always pour forth water onto the tiles floor when the bath water is emptied ... so the bath panel is off!  Plus, I'm still trying to decide where to buy the bath screen!!!!! England it will be, as I want it higher than the normal dimension.
The bedroom was about to get the final coat of paint now that the F&B paint has successfully covered the cheap and nasty Wickes paint. However, this morning, my friend commented on the concave dips between the sheets of 'plasterboard on polystyrene' panels that were installed in about 1985.  Those three vertical hollows have been filled, require sanding when dry, then re-filling, sanding again, before paint can be added to that last and largest wall of that particular room.  Patience is required before I can return to sleep there.
The large Salon continues to have 'le rideau bleu' across it, haha, to keep the wood dust that side of the room and the woodburner dust this side!!!!!!  I am continually sweeping and vacuuming both sides!!!!! I decided to sort out HIS tools, screws and nails. It is worse than a ravelled ball of knitting!!!! However, we discovered screws etc that he didn't think he had and so a saving has been made on going to Brico shops.
Preparation is being made to start to replace the glazing of 4 exterior French doors.
The warmer weather is arriving.... OR IS IT??????  Forecast suggests lower temperatures!  Easter is coming and 'hey ho' the weeks and months pass by as I dream of another life not renovating. I am unskilled and to some extent I love updating a house.... if only I'd been younger!
The garden beckons after the grand clear up ... but I might just avoid it tomorrow and go to my pottery class.
I am in relatively good health. However, I am in shock this evening to hear how a very good friend of my son has serious spinal problems, her husband also has bone and joint problems, coupled with work difficulties or unemployment PLUS looking after a 3 year old.  Life is not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.