Sunday 31 March 2013

Une Brocante quand il fait froid

The clocks sprang forward last midnight! Arriving at Angles sur L'Anglin at 6h30, I was as early as last year when people thronged at 7h, but this morning, people did not emerge much before 9h, except for one or two professionals looking for coins, stamps, postcards, hoping to drive down the price of more antique looking items.  Mainly, I had what I thought was trash... lots of little items not sold before, diy things, some clothing, and now I wonder what DID I sell?  Interest was for a toy tank without tracks, an attractive blue vase for which I wouldn't provide a giveaway price,  a rusty woodworking plane, a child's wooden chair.  Some things I'd bought, I made a profit on, but much I sold at below the price I'd paid as new.  C'est la vie for unwanted items! That is normal.  I confess that since my first car boot stall I have had  a small kick from making a one or two euros profit on some things. My main interest however, HAS been to dispose of things without taking items to the dechetterie. I don't have a problem with moving things to charity shops but here in France they are few and far between.  I support Emmaus.
It was a lot of work for 12 hours on site in the cold but I suppose it was a reasonable profit but one third down on last year's effort.  My first sale was my mothers old "snakeskin" patchwork handbag to a man who I think was theatrical because later I saw he carried the bag and distinguished looking cane!!!!
Once I'd got used to talking to people again in English and French it was quite fun being smiley and happy, even thinking it was 'fun' now that the trauma and anguish of the previous evening had been dispelled.  It's physically hard to get the wooden tables in situ without help and realise that if I do one further afield I need a shorter table or a longer car!
I look at all "the stuff" and initially become embarassed but the French have a very good sense of humour so one doesn't feel that once behind the table!  "One person's rubbish is another person's treasure," is what I had to say to myself! A good measure of success was that the boxes were lighter for the return journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.