Monday 27 January 2014

Aldo Ciccolini - the pianist

On Friday night I was privileged to hear and watch the former teacher of Laurie Clement, my piano teacher.  In Paris, she was taught by Aldo Ciccolini At the age of 88 he plays impeccably. You may read his history here.
Here is a video of Ciccolini two years ago, performing the first piece from Friday night's concert which was as perfect!

There were pieces by Chopin, Schumann and Castelnuovo-Tedesco (new to my ear!).  For an encore he played a piece that my best friend at college used to play.  How I envied her ability!  It was "Minstrels" by Debussy,  here played by Claudio Arrau.
At the end of the concert I waited whilst the audience departed very slowly.  I would like to bet that the man in front of me who told the woman next to him that the pianist did not play with sensibilité (with emotion/sensitivity) was an insensitive soul himself and probably not even a pianist.  I almost said something but words in French failed me! Did he not appreciate an accomplishment of age and experience?
This, the week the Italian Conductor Claudio Abbado aged 80 died.
There can be no excuse now to think that my fingers are less agile!!!!! Perseverance, endurance! Music is a language which keeps the brain and body young!!!!!!!
(photographs above are mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.