Thursday 30 January 2014

Biscuits for Amelie with Recipe

Grannyme had to think what to do for several hours with poorly child, aged not quite three, whilst the family went swimming... "Let's make biscuits" is what she said!
Ah... but there is no ginger powder... substitute 1845 chocolate drink powder, chocolate essence and cinnamon!  Yum!
Ah... but where are the people cutters? ... not accessible in my kitchen paraphernalia but resident in a box in the attic... substitute cardboard templates and cut with a knife!
Ah... but there is no runny honey ... use Golden Syrup!
Papaya pieces acted as buttons and eyes!
Now it is many years since I made these with anyone and the recipe was jolly good!
Children don't go to school on Wednesdays or Wednesday afternoons!

La recette pour les biscuits d'Amelie:
In a saucepan melt 90g butter / margarine with 275g honey or golden syrup with 115g sugar (I used less) and apx 2 teaspoons spices (all or one of cinnamon, allspice, ginger) and 10g chocolate powder.
However, I added more hot chocolate powder as well as one tsp of chocolate essence ... I guess one could add 70% chocolate bar... in place of the ginger powder.  I didn't use allspice.
In a bowl sieve 675g plain flour (I used less) and 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda but it could be baking powder or skip and use s.r. flour plus a pinch of salt. Add two beaten eggs plus the sticky liquid, beat together, then knead with fingers to a uniformly coloured dough.  It says to wrap and leave overnight.  I left it in the fridge for 30 minutes. 
Roll out to about half a centimetre thickness ... maybe mine was a little thicker :) then shape with cutters.  You could stud dried fruits for eyes and buttons or add decorative icing for features when cool... (beyond my talent and patience!)
Bake in hot oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Mine were beginning to burn after 10 ... be on guard!
Transfer to a cooling rack, then bake the next batch!
As it makes a lot of biscuits you could try halving the recipe or maybe freezing half the batch of dough. I have no idea what that will do to the dough!!!!!!!! 

TASTE FACTOR:
Some were nice and spongy, others too crunchy for my liking. The crucial factor seems to be, not to roll the dough too thinly nor to bake even for a few seconds too long or maybe not to have as hot an oven. There is no thermostat on my ancient insert oven! The recipe from a magazine from the past says 200C but all ovens are different! 


3 comments:

  1. They look wonderful!
    I have never made gingerbread men and in fact rarely make biscuits. Chocolate and cinnamon sounds a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toujours...even when we think the ability to teach has been forgotten...
    However, I do delight in the quest to learn. A little one repeatedly asks, "Can I eat it?" and each time the next process is explained. Eventually I tire and say, "Of course you can taste it!" and then the question isn't asked again! Voila! When the little people were cooked and hadn't ran as fast as they can, she tasted many-a-time!!!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.