Thursday 23 January 2014

Hooting owl and crafty cat


Little people cannot sit still and they wriggled and jiggled with their paper mask puppets symbolising The Owl and the Pussycat... I'd sang the song and let them draw their own versions on the last surrogate granny sit, but this time, following mum's idea whilst re-engaging with what it is to work with little ones not yet three, I managed to devise and prep the parts...  Then the little ones mostly did the making of marks with coloured pens and crayons and glueing, including indeed licking their fingers, which I did try to discourage!   The positioning of the parts was a bit anarchic but eventually they were in agreement and could see the masks transforming from paper shapes to craftwork... it was a good opportunity to learn colours and shapes... Fortunately I had coloured paper but an old rose catalogue provided the darker colours!
Later, they made a boat with my blankets on the oak floor and we rocked and sang on the deep blue ocean. Then one little one started to sing Row, row, row the boat and so we found that on the internet and watched and sang, watched and sang, so all was calm by the time that mummy arrived!
Who's next for granny sitting?

ADDENDUM:
The class of two are so funny.  They are rather fascinated with my bathroom because they are allowed to have face cream!!!!! My towel rail has a shiny, silver metal, mirror-like base...one twin asked if they could fall in?!!!!  Eventually, one looked in and took his face closer and closer until it touched the metal whilst his sister who'd asked the question watched afraid!  Then he turned around and wriggled into the small space to sit on the "pond" and we all laughed!  It reminded me of being a Brownie and having to walk three times around the mirror on the ground and then peer into it... At the age of 6 or 7 it was a world beyond my experience and I was so spooked to look in! I'm sure you know what I saw!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me that "a good teacher never dies, they just lose their class..." Looks like you've found your class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh.....you've made me smile today! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.