Wednesday 15 January 2014

Logs for a Woodburner

arrived yesterday at 9h. Six steres. Whilst admiring how well the logs were stacked on the trailer to prevent tumbling and being nervous about the discharge, I didn't notice that they were 500mm in length until after the chap had left. When my friend arrived, I began to consider the strategy to work together in a confined space. I realised that the first one did not fit between the two towers I had prepped in the 'shed'.  I'd used the logs from last year which were 330mm. HELP!!!! The very large thick logs don't burn that well in my particular woodburner. The 50cm logs would fit into the large woodburner but not the small one. How would I manage later in the year? I would have to find someone to chainsaw them and anyway they were far too heavy for me to carry.  After controlling the rising panic, I drove to the man's house. ! He remembered but had forgotten that I'd asked for the metre lengths to be cut into thirds. After many merdes he admitted it was his fault. I admire that because I have observed that some French people do not like to apologise! He was so good.

He came with his tronçonneuse and cut nearly all the lengths into two. That took another two hours. My friend began to clear logs from the road. She placed them on the 'horse', the man sawed cut them in half or one third and two thirds and I threw the smaller logs further into the courtyard. The pile grew ever larger.  At the same time I started stacking in the 'shed' room but it was a slow process with little bits and many triangular pieces!!!! After a while, I thought smaller logs were to my advantage. We'd also contacted my friend's son and although he'd brought his chainsaw, by then it wasn't necessary.  He started stacking elsehwhere and eventually finished all the stacking, whilst she and I carried the logs to him into the wood store.  We saved all the sawdust.. because if I don't use it my Raku pottery teacher will.

Although I am paying a high price for the logs it is not as high as it could be. I am not complaining.  I know how many hours it takes to go the woods and log the trees, move to keep them for three years, then cut and move again, then deliver where they have be carried and stacked again.  And the work is not without its danger. Falling trees or logs can cause injury.

What annoys me is when someone asks to be paid for travelling to work. It's because I've offered that in the past when I've been grateful for emergency help in difficult circumstances; therefore had set a precedent. Well, I missed that squeeze on this occasion!  I've been too generous when I was more flush!  If the cost of labour can't be reduced then I'll have to seriously consider whether or not to employ him.  I suppose there shouldn't be financial consideration as to whether a person is old and frail or fit and young, a pensioner or an employee, a friend or stranger, but my pensionable income only goes so far.  I know that one's hourly rate is one's hourly rate but I have had to adapt my teaching fees per hour in the past. Maybe this person deosn't need employment. His rate was way higher than the minimal hourly wage!
Also I suppose having lived with a male friend for so many years when we were mutually supportive it comes as a shock to be without assistance and as a single female I now have to pay for practical support.
Maybe it is true what a friend once said and that I do live in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

I was indeed truly grateful for both men helping us two women and also saving my dilemma.  I am hoping to swap 8 hours labour with my friend if she will let me!

I don't know what the cost of heating or the price of logs is in UK. My room temperatures never rise above 20C. That would be heaven. Generally it's between 12C and 18C.  However, I prefer to feel the heat and see the flames in a fire. I'm happy to suffer a little and put on layers of clothing: if necessary wear a coat and hat indoors.  I remember my aunt and grandmother doing that! 

1 comment:

  1. What you need is a fleecy blanket to snuggle into. Our rooms are set at 21 but I still feel the need for the blanket on cold evenings. Our Victorian house is rather draughty!

    I like the idea of a swap of labour. I think you then feel like you can ask again if you've returned a favour in kind.

    Deadly deed done and I feel exhilarated..... and relieved!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.