Friday 1 May 2015

Branscombe

My dearest cousin took us to Branscombe in West Devon.
Like fronds of fern I felt unfurled as I imbibed a glass of crisp Chardonnay in the inn, whilst warm sunshine beat the keen breeze.
We wandered past creamy-cup-yellow primroses not yet paling into insignificance.
The West Country is a renowned region for primroses of which there are two varieties.
We looked in awe at rock formation on a Jurassic coastline constantly under erosion. No time to climb the steep hill, as I had done before. I remember when I had to be pushed on the base of my spine... but now I could do it solo, I know!
We sat enjoying the sea incoming, which dared our toes to keep us seated as it beat at pebbles, as we watched it ricochet along a beachline, spring tide breaking stone upon stone.

1 comment:

  1. RiF...
    about those primroses...
    actually there aren't two different varieties...
    just two different sexes....
    and they can occasionally occur on the same plant...
    pin-eyed is the female flower and thrum-eyed is the male...
    it is the primrose families' way of ensuring cross-pollination...

    Love the breakers pix!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.