Monday 4 May 2015

The Gunton Arms

I thought my lunch at The Gunton Arms was over priced, priced for the hooray Henrys. £16** for the main course.
(Postscript 1**: see below as I now think this is good value: I didn't wish to alter my  first opinion but am always ready to be corrected.)
It was only roast beef even if it was an Aberdeen Angus in it's lifetime.  Even though it had been cooked there in the hearth!  However, it was delicious and the veg were exquisite! Watch out though, for afterwards I discovered that the potatoes had been cooked in Goose Fat and that does my intestines no good whatsoever!  Fortunately, although I felt terrible four hours later, the maladie passed!  But of course, to eat at an establishment like that one is to enjoy the ambience which was superbly excellent so gold star for the sympathetic renovation.  Loved it! 
Therefore, on reflection, it has been wrong of me to carp on about the price. Read to the end of this posting before I am judged!!!
The lesson for me is that I may form an opinion which is not necessarily a judgement and be open to reviewing it later as the thoughts arrive in the mind.
Pity the wind was inclement and it seemed wandering around the park was prohibited. Nice to see the deer in the park and not on the plate!
I rather like my "Still Life of Cooked Carrots" amongst the Damien Hurst, Tracey Emin and other artists.   I love the play of light and tone which reminds me, maybe, of a Rembrandt?
I also had a marvellous dessert of rhubarb and custard, a bottle of Pinot Grigio and coffee.. so it wasn't as if I was watching the pennies.
The moment for me was to be taken there by a very dear friend with the pleasure of her company.




(Postscript 2 ** However, walking into town, a new "eating place" has opened and by the look of the menu I would not call it a 'restaurant' .. it also has the name of what I thought the bar sur la place was called, so at this moment in time I do not know if it is the same 'entreprise'. However, a quick scan of  the menu reveals a plate of Andouillette and salad and chips at 16e and a plate of kids food 9e ....so I have now redefined my above comment for the pricing of Roast Beef in England... I have been quite out of touch with prices and flinch when my pension can only go so far... eating out CAN be  a huge heaven or hell... and when I have travelled anywhere, sometimes, there have sure been some hellish meals!! One of the worst was an omelette in Portugal!)
So let's go to The Gunton Arms again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.