Monday 18 May 2015

"It's not all play"

The Reality of French Home Ownership:

The water boiler has been intermittently making worryingly loud noises and occasionally has settled down in peacefulness for a while. I phoned the electrician in October, and sometime between January and March and then again in April, then he came in May and went away to find out from the manufacturer what is wrong with it and how to repair it!  He installed it! I am still waiting, phoning and waiting!!
Just before Easter I noticed copious amount of warm water trickling into the waste pipe.  So I turned off the electric boiler.  When my family came we didn't have hot water every day until I risked turning it on. Same problems.  I can do without a bath or shower for only so long, then my brain seems to need a watery experience!!! A sink wash isn't the same thing at my age! So, I turn the elec on and sod the noise and whatever it costs!!! I need a bath!

In addition the toilet seat I thought I'd fixed shouted 'bah humbug' at me an 'it aint so easy,'  as the complicated hinge fell apart! Not sure what to do!!!! Am waiting for a man who I know can!
In addition the three bathroom spot lights suddenly went out! Fortunately a wall light by a different switch opposite works nicely!
Next is my form of humour:
The weather had been dry for a while.  One early May morning I was concerned about the lack of water for my newly planted peas and beans, potatoes and leeks and self seeded poppy plants I had moved.  I spent about half an hour which wasn't too bad I suppose trying to get rainwater through the pump from the cistern into the hosepipe for watering the garden.  I understand the principles about priming but I couldn't remember or see how I'd taken it apart on a previous occasion and filled it with tap water.  The outcome was: I undid a plastic screw plug and got a lovely warm shower!! I laughed! Quickly I pushed it back onto the strong fountain! Then switched electricity and the on / off button,  on off on off... took the hosepipe apart in two places and was amazed that there was water in it, tried again and yippppppeeeee ........I am not sure what I did but wasn't I lucky that it worked so quickly.  the potager got watered and within two hours it rained mightily! I laughed again! Water pumps are notorious for needing to be primed after being unused for a while!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.