Thursday 25 April 2013

A Beautful Party with Candles and Cheese


A beautiful party.
In a beautiful setting.
Magic. Féerique.
Like a magical fairy tale.

On arrival one gave one’s cheese and one’s candle to the organizers. 
People made themselves scarce whilst important others made arrangements. I explored the natural beauty of La Distillerie, St Pierre de Maille, an events centre for music, arts, wedding feasts, etcetera.
Nightingales, cuckoos, other birds and frogs or toads were in abundance. A dog chased a duck, which managed to escape with much quacking and flapping. It was chastised.  By wandering around the lake I began to understand what was going to happen.

As guests we were invited to one room for pre-evening drinks. Chatter was accompanied by French melodies. Then we had to secrete ourselves.  No voices, which was difficult because the people I joined, whom I have not seen for several years, who are so funny, kept making froggy and birdy sounds with ribald comments that I did not understand!

Francois is 60.  He was brought blindfold to the lake where he boarded  ‘une barque’ to be punted around the lake in the dark, between the ribbon of fairy lights strewn on the water’s surface, until his family, who were hidden behind willow trees and reeds burst into the Happy Birthday song in French.  We guests were instructed to remain silent until they had finished when we were to hear a lone voice singing the first Joyeux Anniversaire and hear a second lone Joyeux Anniversaire.  Then we were to join in, reveal ourselves by lighting candles that we had previously collected from the oil lamps surrounding the lake. There weren’t any solo voices but everyone joined in with gusto singing several times as the song lapped around the lake.  Silence … as we picked our way by moonlight and candle light careful not to ditch down the bank! I had the urge to sing in English so I started and at the second Happy Birthday everyone joined in, in English!  
We proceeded to the front of the lake where we sat down.  Sat down seated on logs or blankets between more candles to listen to the storyteller. There were two barques with two punters in traditional costumed dress, as was the storyteller. He proceeded to tell the story of La Rochette …a little rock… and how this man, who owns this name, came to be born, and where and how he arrived at La Rochette where he once lived, and how he arrived now here at this historical event, for in his life he had been a Gallic weaver, a medieval weaver, a woodcarver, a keeper of the Arts and Crafts, a medieval dancer.  He was overawed.  One would be!

Lots of praise and love issued forth to him from his family and friends. He is a lovely man, gentle, who, I think would wish no unkindness on any soul or creature. One only sees the public man. He and his wife have been good friends for 8 years now, patient, helping the friend and I to integrate into part of the French culture.




After ‘le spectacle du nuit’ we processed to the dining room, where long tables of 12 or more places were laid with creamy white cloths and yellow wild flowers…
Then we commenced to eat. People chose from the buffet, not waiting for everyone to be seated which is what I think we would do in UK!  I was not sure where to sit, and feeling a panic rising, eventually tucked myself onto the corner of a table, centrally facing the buffet and a screen where later photographs of the younger François were beamed.

Whilst people ate, I played three pieces on my accordion:
Autumn Leaves – 
Sous le Ciel de Paris – 
Under the Bridges of Paris -

Then the hurdy gurdy man and his violin wife again played French dance tunes… feet tapping, people dancing. I joined the spiral dance except didn’t spiral for we only circumnavigated the tables. 3 steps and a foot gesture repeated 3 times, then 2 lots of 2 and 2 lots of 1. A progressive dance. SIMPLE FUN!
After that Thomas serenaded François with Bach ‘cello pieces without music. Exquisite! Later cds of modern music. I distinctly remember Sweet Home Alabama by Lynnrd Skynnrd – a favourite song for me!  A small nucleus danced and laughed until 3am when I thought I’d better take my personal being back on home. Tables were cleared. Many had already departed some time back!
Well … we ate radishes, salads, a choice of three soups (nettle, carrot, radish and ginger).   There were so many cheeses to die for!!!!!!!!!! Baguette was largely ignored, especially when I found better bread.  I believe that I witness a French movement away from the traditional baguette. Then tiramisu cake (oh wow)  and a white chocolate cake for the children, but there was a little left to sample. Gateau was served with a grapefruit champagne. Coffee. Red wine to start, continue and finish! Plenty of water jugs on the table. The French certainly tucked in. There were 70 guests and evidently apx one litre of alcohol per person was consumed!
What a party. So spectacular! So beautifully organized.  Joyeux Anniversaire à François!

It was the first French party I have ever been to, at which, I was the only English person. I was very appreciative of my invitation and surprised to count more than 10 French people to say a little more than Hello and a smile to.   I felt as if perhaps “I had arrived” as they say. After the long haul of winter, sunshine in my heart has returned. I’ll have to accept there is just one I can direct it to. C’est moi.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.