Sunday 7 April 2013

A Wasteland - Wasted land - Waste Wilderness

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering       
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.T.S. Eliot 1922 The Wasteland


On my return journey I came across vast aggression towards a rural landscape which now was a wilderness. Land not to be Wasted?  I presume, it will be a new roadway. It was a shock to see desecration, huge machinery worth millions standing still on a Sunday, and a cut off rail track.

And then I came across what look like ruins of a former grandiose empire!   Fascinating!
I think I was on D109 but can't be sure..I'd just come under the A10 or a major road.
Looking at Google maps... perhaps what I witnessed is that a huge lake has been landfilled?
Looking at my photos I can see that this is probably true and clearly a roadway is being constructed?
Is this a waste or improvement for the future?
POSTSCRIPT: I am now wondering if the landwork is for the TGV and having done a little research I am now sure this is correct..... 
http://www.lgv-sea-tours-bordeaux.fr/construction-de-la-lgv/les-cartes-du-trace-et-des-travaux

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.