Saturday 27 April 2013

A Boundary

Boundaries are important.
One reason why in January 2010 I was enticed by the property was the spacious view from the garden, largely free from being overlooked by anyone.  It had previously been occupied by chickens, dogs, vegetable allotment and evidently beautiful flowers which apart from some daffodils and tulips none transpired. They'd been removed! To the rear beyond the ugly breeze-block wall is an old orchard, kept wild. On one side are two strips of unkempt land which cannot be built on, but at that time I never enquired as to whom they belonged.  On the other side was an enclosed garden. To begin with, my neighbour lived elsewhere, so I was relaxed about the garden boundary until she arrived to stay for longer, when she appeared to be very abrupt. Much later, she was friendly and invited me for coffee, but I did not return the favour because it was uncomfortable with twenty questions about my house, not about me!  She'd disapproved of the price of the property and the amount of work to be done to make it habitable.  She thought it was too expensive, yet, a lady who was born here, who now lives along the lane, said it was 'un cadeau'.  And so my neighbour asked "What was I going to do in there?" "What was I going to do with the falling down workshop at the back of the house?" I answered I had no idea... for in truth that was the case.
Ever since then she has been cool, sometimes even ignoring me in the street. When I became aware that response was very un-French and more Anglo Saxon, I persisted in greeting and shaking her hand. Some days she would not put her washing on the line if she saw me in the garden and would wait until I'd gone in. I am sure I have not wrong-footed her. I have wondered if it is because I am English ... then there are the Maire connections. 
They were resident for one year. When her husband regained employment, he, and later she, returned to the country where they work, leaving the young adult son to be at home between college days. The property is cared for by their relatives that live in the village so I am pleased that often there are people in and out.
I have a 'droit d'echelle' onto her land in order to repair my wall, guttering, roof, chimney on any part of my property - the part that was a barn. Her land is immediately behind the length of my property. Gardens are staggered.  One fence panel nearest the house can be removed easily for access.
On Sunday it was just a 40cm x 40cm stone wall on her side but which I believe is a joint boundary, (the solicitor does not know), plus my green wire 4 feet high linked fence on my land.
On Monday a larch lap fence was erected but only to a half way point.  On Friday the whole length was fenced.
P.S. interjection.. I did not realize that some struts had been left in HER garden to stablise the fence posts whilst cement sets. She complained today! She didn't want them to stay until Monday but Sunday was OK! I truly, stupidly, did not know they were there, so expressed BEAUCOUP de DESOLÉES.  Later, Saturday evening, I climbed a stepladder to remove them, depriving of her the chance to "jeter sue mon jardin sur lundi"!   What have I done wrong to incur her icy nature for well over a year!  I have never wanted to upset her but possibly have now that a fence has gone up. Oh dear!
It's ironic that the house has been empty since September, but on the day before the fence goes up I am aware that there are people next door.  Hence the purpose of the fence has been tested. It shuts out the sound of French conversation whilst they sit the other side of the tree but within view.  It shuts US all out from viewing each other.  Now I can choose to sit anywhere rather than the one comfortable position where they couldn't see me! But I don't have the lovely view of her garden.
I feel a renewal of freedom. I feel that I could wine, dine and sit anywhere in my garden, not feel watched or on alert for neighbours. I feel I could put the hammock half way down the garden. I feel I could sunbathe in my swimsuit or in the nuddy!  I feel I could jog around the garden and not be considered half mad! I feel I can 'faire le jardinage' and not worry what clothes I am wearing!  I feel that I need not be judged. She can put her washing on the line on a daily basis and I will not know!
In an early morning, I like to sit near the house, face south and east to watch the rising sun, though I cannot see the horizon.  In the later morning, I like to sit a little way out to catch the warmth of the sun or capture the shade if very hot.  In late afternoon, I have enjoyed sitting facing the buildings, with the sun moving to the west and with the encroaching shade move further into the garden. In the evening towards night,  I have enjoyed sitting at the end of my garden on the bedrock of the rockery under the breeze block wall or indeed further into the garden.  Facing west, I love how the streetlights illuminate the roof lines in a magical golden light.  In the warmth of summer's dusk, with a gin and tonic or glass of wine in my hand, ( nothing less I mus confess) I watch bats until night descends. I love to watch bats and snakes!
I know the upper horizontal line of the fence is deliberately winky wonky. It adds character but does look a bit odd. What I didn't know when trying to decide whether it was right or wrong to fence-out my neighbour, or to only fence to the halfway point, is that the fencer would normally have started at the highest-most point of land. In effect he would have worked in the other direction. He had to avoid the height of the fence being more than 1.80m. If the panels are 6 feet high with the ground rising I could see how the fence would appear to be higher.  Anything higher and one needs planning permission. This was confusing to my small wee brain especially when the neighbour's ground is at a higher level than mine! So, we had to change to 5 feet panels, leaving a larger gap underneath in order to get the correct height at the top.  The 1.80m panels are tight against the grass, so I will have to dig out a small gap beneath them to prevent them from rotting. 
I aim to grow hollyhocks, climbing roses and clematis against the fence to soften the view.
I loved the view of my neighbour's garden before I had the fence but I value too my privacy!

BEFORE:
 AFTER:
final photo will appear when I take it on the next sunny day. Meanwhile il commence! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.