Tuesday 17 March 2020

SPRING 2020 DAY 0:: Pre Complete Lockdown in France

I shall count today as DAY 0: Lockdown in France 

As I live a solitary life without television, but with internet, it is sometimes difficult to keep informed!  
Aware that a speech had been made by the French Prime Minister on Thursday 12th March, I should have realised that a strict 15-day lockdown would require us to remain at home. This came into greater effect at midday Tuesday 17th March after a second speech by M. Macron, lawfully proposing confinement and closing many non-food shops and businesses to curb the coronavirus spread.

On Thursday 12th March 2020 - an English friend decided we wouldn't be able to go to Poitiers Thursday 19th March. It was later that I realised shops would be closed.
When she suggested a game of Scrabble with Gin & Tonic for Saturday, I was very enthusiastic.  We kept a distance. She washed her hands on entry to the house.  I didn't know she hadn't ever played before. Surprising for someone with an English degree.  Latching on to the two-letter word list she came a very close second - we covered the board and had a good combined score.  I planned to go shopping after she had departed for the afternoon but with one G&T on board and only an hour ish before the supermarket closed, it was wise to wait until Monday! 

However, Monday 16th March was the eve of the SECOND Prime Ministerial speech. I did not know this! Schools had been closed. Non-food enterprises had been closed. I was too late to purchase 2 stroke for the chainsaw!  Too late for electrical parts for my delayed/delayed/delayed hand-made pottery lamp base at pottery lessons ... still not fired since Christmas.  I am sure it will become too dry to fire!  A
t the crowded supermarket Reality dawned! Beyond my control!

Shopping - I didn't need much - eggs, yoghurt, butter, milk, vegetables, fruit.  essentials and then store cupboard foods and firelighters.  I managed to spend 127 euros including wine. Despite saying to myself 'leave for others' I did return after about 30 minutes or so to the toilet roll aisle, to take one of the last four packets, deciding I too was deserving. 
I filled the Kangoo with diesel.  I returned home feeling rather sad for the impending doom of not normal conditions for everyone.
The street seemed more empty - more emptier than normal, if it is possible to be MORE, when Empty cannot really be more Empty.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.