Wednesday 3 September 2014

Book Review: The Dead School: Patrick McCabe

Dust. 
Dead.
Days. (Larkin)
Living.
Loving.
Loss.
Death.
Dying.
Disintegration.
Destruction.
Depression.
Deviation.
Dearth.
Destiny.
Dreams broken.
Betrayal.
Madness.
Macabre.
Ancient.
Modern.
Ireland.
England.
Deeply Disturbing.
 "all the  precious moments... shared... down the years... well they weren't really anything at all now, were they? ... you certainly couldn't call them precious moments ... A better name for this might be something like: DUST!"
Two characters clash, contrast, come together.
Two or more levels of craziness.
Teachers and pupils.
Catholicism.
Ah.. I remember it all very well.

I confess.
My Days have certainly passed when I as a teacher became long-in-the-tooth and went from being outstanding to not. When I was head-hunted to when I was hunted-to-be-dismissed. Oh my, did they give me the best gift ever which was early retirement by at least five years of bliss and heaven... for if I was a year or two later it would not have been allowed! My bacon and sanity were saved .. although some may think the last ten years have been a hard time!   
Raphael Bell should have taken his freedom before teaching sent him to the brink.  
Like Raphael I thought I was important with my status and power...but now I am wiser, less arrogant.  I learned at the end of my career that I was irredeemable and not irreplaceable, even when the governor, on my final day before the blow, in front of a class of eleven year old children said "ah.. you are still surviving!" and I replied: "Yes I am a survivor!" 
Now I believe I am less self-centric, aware of my failings.  I am almost DUST and shall be when all my days have ended.
Who would be a teacher?
I would again, if I knew that what I was doing was making a positive difference to education, but if not, then I would get out quick, and do something more beneficial for my inner soul and for others.
Ironically, I have chosen to publish this on the day children return to school in UK and I didn't realise a new curriculum commences. 
It is A BRILLIANT BOOK. 
I read it before when I was numb because I don't remember any of it!
I haven't read THE BUTCHER BOY but was shocked out of the skin within seconds of watching the movie with a friend who couldn't stand it, who walked out! I made him return to the nightmare, even though I didn't wish to, and sit in the Hertfordshire cinema to brave it out! It didn't get easier to watch! Brilliant Movie! I would like to read more of his literature.






No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.