Thursday 4 September 2014

Wheel hubs

Mindful that one of these had fallen off after it had been knocked off by someone hitting the corner of my vehicle, causing minor damage whilst parked on the road outside of my house, AND when I'd replaced it but it fell off again, (I know not where), I managed to pass the motor vehicle scrap yard whilst it was open.  Not knowing the French words even to begin to ask for what I needed,  I mentioned 'couverture' and 'roue' and the very polite young man with neat, dreadlock hair who was wearing welly boots came to look at the car.  Off he went in search of what I needed.  Then I  looked at my car which is not something I often do and noticed that a second and a third were also 'abimé'  ( (worn out! - damaged)  and ah, maybe I needed two or three, or, oh, FOUR wheel hub covers!  There I stood for an exceedingly long time, thinking how annoyed he might be if he arrives with one but I need more... and whilst I stood there, I considered how much one might cost and how much I might like to pay, bearing in mind it IS a scrap yard where everything has its value to those who need it!  Imagine my joy when this intelligent man arrived with four. They were a different pattern yet were for a Clio! I understood all of that but not heard a word that I could translate... This happens a lot more recently.  I don't know EXACTLY in words what the French person has said but I can reply!

So we agree to try them to see what they look like... and I noticed that as he passed the second wheel he too had seen that the second was broken and wouldn't last long.  He had made another comment which words escaped me but translation didn't.  Something to do with the driver scraping the car hubs on the pavement ... but he didn't say that of course!  He said he'd noticed that two were required! Well, I asked how much and he said 15e for the four. Without batting an eyelid, asked for 'baisser' svp.. but I struggled to remember that French word which he supplied!  Yes, that's it!  So, I got the four for 10e.  At the time, another language process happened. I interpreted that he meant each when I knew he meant for the four.   As he fitted them I said I had to keep the car on the road.  He commented 'comme tout le monde' ... I panicked, not wishing to cause offense and so, wasn't sure whether to tip him or not... there was no receipt, so I hoped he took a cut!  It's hard to make a moral decision without someone to discuss it with.  Afterwards I felt a bit mean because I then remembered my earlier thoughts and the minimum-maximum cost I was prepared to pay!  Scrooge! Ah.. humbug! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.