Monday 26 January 2015

Best laid plans

It was an unusual event for me to sally forth to the community bar/shop.  I haven't been since October.  It was Friday night.  I needed to post a letter, so at 6pm, I went along for a hot chocolate drink.  I sat writing - planning for impending volunteers to subject themselves to Midwinter Life in a French village.  Then.. my little space of peace and privacy was shattered as English arrivals sat opposite.  Eventually I plucked courage to check if he was who I thinkhe was, because a while ago I made a horrible mistake speaking to someone else and asking him if he was a particular name and he was not!!!!!!  Very embarrassing!  This man, whom I have only ever met once or twice hadn't recognised me or signalled that he knew me!  Lo, another two arrived, and with, excuse me, loud voices, which some Brits have, (I do too sometimes!), particularly those not from the South.  This is without prejudice, as I have several friends from the North of England and wonderful people they are!  I couldn't concentrate as I had hoped for French tranquility, or at the very least French company.  I left them to their beer. They had cut into their hot, home-made corned beef pie, no chips, for their Friday night suppet.   There were also 'what looked like English crisp-type-snacks' but maybe, just maybe, they were French products!  It is a good idea to go out to a bar and have a social night out...I am not knocking that... It was just that I didn't expect to be so disturbed! 
In France if the bar does not sell food one can eat other food.  For example, go the Boulangerie and buy a croissant and then to the bar for the coffee. Increasingly there are some Boulangeries that serve coffee/tea. Increasingly there are bars that serve croissants. So always best to politely check with the proprietor and if you've scanned what other clients are doing and are uncertain!

Suddenly, I have more things to do in order to tick off winter garden tasks.  Helpers are arriving! I have no energy as it is so cold and wet... I don't cope with this level and type of humidity!

1 comment:

  1. I mistake people all the time. One of my most memorable efforts was deliberately seating myself next to someone I was convinced was Bertrand. After a couple of sentences were exchanged he said 'I think you are mistaking me for Bertrand. I'm Alain!' I apologised and was a bit embarrassed, but he laughed and said actually he was very flattered, since Bertrand is much younger than him! Alain and I have been firm friends ever since.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.