Tuesday 27 January 2015

Eccelentissimo

My Italian friends finished widening the rose and lavender border by digging and removing turf which find a new home in my garden.  I had got about half way but then weather, laziness and other jobs made it a slow process. In addition I measured and marked with string the four parts of the potager.  I shall have doubled in size what i started three years ago! It shall not become any larger! It does mean that I shall have four rotational areas. Their next task is to fork over three quarters and to dig the last quarter. However, there is an acacia trunk root and I may have to pour bleach or some other concoction over it if I or they can't grub it out! Once they have finished i shall cover all four areas with plastic before I plant in Springtime!

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest drilling the stump with holes and carefully filling them with a proprietory stump killer. I know bleach is widely suggested on the interwebs but I can't imagine why people would think it was any less toxic or more effective than glysophate or similar. Cheaper yes, but not less hazardous both in the application and in the long term for the soil. Whatever you do don't just 'pour bleach or some other concoction over it'. What you want initially is to stop it shooting and suckering. Once the stump is dead you might have to wait a year or so for rot to set in sufficiently to allow it to be grubbed out.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.