Friday 2 January 2015

New Year Day's Picnic

It had to be a quick picnic. At midday, I decided it had to be then or never, as it was freezing! Getting the bike out from the store was tricky ... but arm strength has improved and I managed to lift it above two mowers.  Attired for the weather, I grabbed a paper plate, serviettes, tea towel and a picnic of smoked salmon gifted to me by a friend with her fig and anise chutney, two cherry tomatoes, rocket, crackers, two clementines and a posh caramel yoghurt, plus I filled an empty 25cl wine bottle with apricot juice and Armagnac... just to keep me warm!  There was sunshine by the River Gartempe but benches were in shade, so I nestled myself in the fork between trees for the Selfie.  I made myself cycle the circuit instead of returning home by the 15 minute route.  I walked the bike up the hill, past the bull, then saddled to Etranglar and back home.  It was an exhilarating ride but difficult to make breathing regular in such cold weather. It was wonderful to shriek out loud "Yoohoo" when there was no one else out on the high, empty agricultural plain.  I worked up quite a sweat in the glorious sunshine and cold air.  It was a lovely first day of the year.   I love these kind of picnics!
 
 
I took first footing gifts to my friends' house - a silver coin, bread, salt, alcohol, oak instead of coal for good luck, financial prosperity, food, warmth and good cheer but in fact I was the second person to have arrived that day.  After a family walk to the river and back, we had Christmas Pudding with my gifts of Armagnac and Cremant d'Alsace.   There was just a little red Chinon 2003 left which I tasted...mmmm. Following that were oysters... I ate two... they make the forehead feel funny!  Later, bread and Stilton cheese and Brebis. Nice!  Back home I ate the miniature yule log that I had bought on the Ile de Re and started to listen to War and Peace!

1 comment:

  1. Bonne année. We've just got home after staying at Rhiannon's for a few days dog sitting and found your new year message in the answerphone. Your picnic sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.