Wednesday 11 March 2015

Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

My daughter gave this book to me.
Living with February influenza forced my mind to read between sleeping!
There has been a glimpse of Spring. I sat in the garden sunshine for no more than 30 minutes contentedly reading.  In the coming days I wondered where I had left the book!  Ah, the rain! The pages weren't yet completely stuck together so I dried the book out on top of the woodburner.  But it pushed against the hot flue.  I wondered what that sweet smell was!  Nevertheless, still a little damp it was readable!
It took a while for me to understand the lay-out of the novel, identify with the characters and understand who was relating the story. It wasn't the Book Thief!  'Twas the Grim Reaper!  It says so on the back cover!  Like many, I am deeply upset at what happened in WWII ...  it is the setting of this literary work!  It must have been hell for so many! We cannot alter our place of birth!  Out of learning grows reward.  The ability to play an instrument, to draw, to write, to have a skill are talents which can be shared with others in joy or dire times. 
I loved the style and the bold black intros to each section...telling of what was to come.
Incredibly soul-wrenching...souls were allowed to live a while before they were taken / stolen... as well as books, apples and potatoes. The desire to read drew the desire to steal.  Out of horror, sorrow, badness grows goodness, delight, satisfaction, love. BUT all things pass and everyone dies!
The fact that my book went through the rigours of the elements,  matching some of that which happens in the story seemed to be ironic!  
An excellent work of how words can triumph over the extremes of loss. I highly recommend the novel. 
Paper books can suffer water and fire damage but still feel great in the hand and to the eye.

2 comments:

  1. The film is excellent, but I haven't as yet read the book. I bought a copy about a year ago and sent it to Japan. Maybe I'll get the chance to read it.
    Good to hear that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to see the film. Thank you for your kind comments. Each day grows like the Spring.. a little warmer, a little happier! ... and I hope it does for you too.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.