Thursday 26 March 2015

Retro Liberty: Fast forward!

I am very proud to own a Susan Collier and Sarah Campbell design from 1972.  I was poor and had just started or was about to start teaching.  My then husband worked in South Kensington making exotic items with silver, other metals, semi-precious stones, ivory, shells, (all banned now!) for a man with a million.  We were always well entertained at restaurants, eating little pigeons, pheasant breasts all nouveau cuisine!  He was so lovely : J.Anthony Redmile. Breathe deeply! Sigh for such missed opportunities!
Apart from delving into shops such as Biba and all the rest whilst I floated in a cloud of patchouli, long long hair, mini-dresses, crepe culottes, Indian sari, flower-power attire (not all at the same time)  I often was transported in delight in Liberty.  I JUST HAD to have this 'Bauhaus' design roller printed onto thick cotton, before unknowingly I became destitute and further impoverished.  It's a pity I didn't purchase enough to make the third repeat!
I AM SO EXCITED... whilst looking for bird wallpaper and fabric and finding the design I WANT.. I WANT .. I WANT .. (it's fabric only, though I haven't decided in what measure and what I would do with it, if I could ever locate it)  the lovely internet led me to a course... and CAN I BELIEVE THAT later this year, I shall be participating in  two day textile course with THE lovely Sarah Campbell!!! Sadly her sister died in 2011.
It's been a while since yearning to do something with textiles. I have no idea what I shall achieve. 
Collier Campbell Bird fabric
Egyptian Birds 1972

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.