Monday 30 March 2015

Inherited Furniture

Unfortunately, at this stage in life with the Pension Fund as it is, I have to live with what I have from "The Previous Life"... so no IDEAL HOME style here ... only dreams!

This Coffee Table was left in the house for me as the new owner!
It is heavy and I have never liked it! However, it has been extremely serviceable.
It has been somewhere to sit on, something to climb onto, a garden / kitchen eating place, a child's eating / activity table, a place for fruit and other kitcheny things, a table at the book fair, a coffee table!  The idea to paint it arose at a time when I should be doing other things.

I turned it upside down. It has the feel of home-made about it and was surprised to find CHINON pencilled or penned onto one end. Maybe it had come from an Emmaus? 
I covered the BROWN shiny oak with  B.I.N. to hold  back the varnish / stain.  I needed to use whatever paints are in storage!  I wanted a kind of grey or cream. There were sample pots of paint, so various F&B including Stony Ground mixed with Laura Ashley Green.  These paints were about 5 years old and had been opened, some had been used. I created a very pale green.  Not liking the colour, I also realised that these were wall paints and not for wood.  I found 'Mouse's Back" F&B for wood and so several coats have created a look that I can live with for a while.  The tiles could be replaced but then THAT would be a more difficult project!
At the start in the kitchen... those are my blood spots. I hadn't noticed at the photo moment that the knuckle wound was dripping everywhere! woops!

Primered.. but forgot to take pic of the Pale Green stage. I scrubbed the grouting and you can see what a messy worker I am!
In new situ - with rug inherited with the house! No matching colours!

2 comments:

  1. RiF....
    that works very well with the tiles...
    no need to change them.

    You could, of course, go the whole hog and "distress" the corners a little...
    by rubbing your paintwork back to show the old...
    and rubbing a little gold, bronze or copper cream on at the sharp angles around the top....
    very retro-French...
    nah!
    Why waste time when Spring has sprung....
    it is a functional... sorry, having read the above.... very functional small table...
    looks like it is originally '60s...
    that you have refreshed to live on for fifty more years.
    Nice one....
    Have a Happy Easter,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.