Tuesday 1 May 2012

To gauge the rain fall

Between the downpours of the weekend I managed some walks to re-familiarise myself with village views, as since the cold spell I have become unfit!  Today, the sun shone, but still the rain gauge collected 30mm of rain in less than 5 hours and that was after I tipped out 8mm at lunchtime. To be fair there wasn't a lot of rain at the weekend though it felt like it!  Thunderstorms too.  However,  at 7h30 with clear blue skies I heard the sound that I had heard before, thought hot air balloon, but I never see it. There this morning as I open my gates it is rising above my roof...... I rush back into the house to find the camera by which time it has travelled into the distance.
Now, for some entymology.  I have to investigate how we arrive at the spelling of gauge, because gauging does look peculiar! It is Middle English for a standard measure from the Old French gauge (noun), gauger (verb), and a variant of Old Northern French jauge (noun), jauger (verb), of unknown origin! Voila!
France meteo predicts rain every day for at least the next 10 days!!!!!!! The lawns will be sky high if the grass does not dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.