Saturday 4 April 2020

Day 19: Lockdown in France - Seeds

Today: Friday 3 April 2020
First Part
Yesterday, and today, I sowed straight into the ground short rows of various OLD seeds in packets
If they germinate, good, but if not, no worries.
I have benefited in mental and physical exercise and so my morale is mainly raised.
As the soil is dry I hauled the hosepipe to the end of the garden to use rain water in the cistern.
In order::
Found in the soil potatoes are replanted / lettuce and lettuce / radish / Italian chicory / Parsnips / Italian Parsley / Black Magic Kale / Coriander / Basil / Edible Flowers protected by string from hungry birds / Oriental Poppy harvested in 2018 /19 from poppies in the garden.
There are Yellow Raspberry Canes moved from being near the rambling roses by the wall and an ageing Gooseberry plant which fruitfulness depends on my ability to prune or not prune.

That's half of  two quarters sown.
Now to continue fork digging / weeding the other half before it rains.
I am slow!  Need to make more effort!

Second Part
A few days ago I had a terrible psychological meltdown about people I know in UK who seem to go out every day for a newspaper or food shopping and how their lives have suddenly it seems to me diminished into talking about trivia, others and the absence of toilet rolls.
These people may have lived alone but they do not know cultural social isolation. Equally, I don't know how those who work in the Arctic or Antartic or other challenging, hostile environments or live as a couple on a remote isaland mange their social isolation. We are all different.
My point is THAT it IS NOT SOCIAL ISOLATION,  nor social or physical distancing, to be seeing people and vehicles whilst they are out buying newspapers or going for a cycle ride or a drive to buy pants or items here considered to be non essential.   Nor is it social isolation when people entertain friends in their own home whom they have kept away from for two weeks, when those people have been going out and about into the social world, even if at a sort of distance from others, and now they say it is safe to meet up again. Maybe they should just move back together. Maybe they already have.
IS IT SAFE? Who knows?
My brain wonders at what point do I go out into the world as I have not been out for a drive to a supermarket for 3 weeks.
HERE in this village the few people in the street keep a good distance from each other.  It is safe from meeting others in close proximity.





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.