Tuesday 5 May 2020

Day 44 to 49: Lockdown in France - Lows and Highs

In Retrospect, on account of my brain not wishing to type or edit what had been typed.
These posts are a DIARY JOURNAL so forgive me if you think it is all rather trivial.
For me, it has helped me mark the days, remember which day it is, appreciate the joys as well as the isolation, which here is not much diffrerent than it has been for me in this village, living alone, in the last ten years.

Day 44 Wednesday 29 April: Sunshine in life started to turn dismal grey with a low point and not only because of log splitting.  I haven't yet recorded the small accident that happened then, which prevented me from presenting a ZOOM accordion recital to my dear cousins on 2nd May as planned.   A week later, accordion wrist and arm technique is hard work and painful after muscles have been used. As a result of the accident shoulder, elbow and wrist joints all became winky wonky with multi laxity.  I know all is well because the pain the next day after playing disappears once the day goes on!  Just need to play more!!!!

The week passed me in some daytime sleep, which I try not to do as a norm.  BUT, I suppose the body and mind had to make up for night time sleep disturbance and anxiety that happens in those early hours.

PHYSICAL STUFF
There was quite a lot of work done in the garden on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
Monday, the gardener stabilised the larch panelled fencing where two panels were attached to a loose post.  Last week, we cleared the ivy in the small gap between the falling apart larch fence, the wire fence and the dwarf stone wall that the NOTAIRE does not know whose responsibility it is.  A wire fence was perhaps placed to keep chickens and dogs in by my previous proprietors in about 1982. There was a lot of ivy to tear off the fence and wall in a confined space so my right hand became rather sore and bruised.

MENTAL STUFF
Confusing information about coronavirus with different approaches being adopted by different countries across the globe, as well as in Europe, in particular, Spain  Italy, Germany, France and UK, the handling of the situation has left me, and others I am certain, in a whirl of disinformation.

It feels that countries are not working together despite probably their best efforts.  Promises, lies, false hopes seem apparent.  I think that the virus needs further strict control for Lockdown in countries where the number of cases and deaths are high as in UK.  Scientists and politicians don't appear to be working together and I would say it is not the fault of the former.  UK seems to think that data and statistic charts, which I can't see, but can access later, are not, I AM CERTAIN,  telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  I believe these are manipulated figures to make the Government look good.  IN MY OPINION, it's all a smokescreen.
I've become tired of my only source and access to media, when one cannot discern if this is new news or old news or a different version of the same news.
It's like an addiction to know the news and I am beginning to think I would like to know NO news!
It's difficult when I don't really anyone to discuss with. The one who I have been able to speak to from time to time just seems to vent anger and venom at the Government. Whether or not we like the Political Situation as it is I don't see how Anger serves us.  I wish to discuss not VENT!  I also dont like to get wound up by people who are.

WEATHER
The rain was welcome but oh my....   I often have to do this deed about two or three times a year!
It was warm rain so I didn't mind getting wet, then having an evening  bath ...... but I was dismal!
On Saturday DAY 47, I had to sweep it along the French gutter.  Weedkillers aren't allowed.  Some residents haven't weeded the road at the front of the house. I do. The council haven't  come to dig the weeds out with shovels. Soil being washed from higher streets, becomes mud so that water could not flow quickly enough. Rainwater from my courtyard had to battle to join the current.   I noticed that further towards the village, down the incline, along the road, the French gutter meets a brick wall of the ancient former Charcuterie.  Gushing rainwater has to bear right to find a new channel to the storm drain that is just after this property.  It was like a harass of horses as they fall at the fences!

SOCIAL
I managed to speak on the phone to friends.  This is such a comfort to hear new voices, new opinions and be updated on their family's lives.   It helps to have a feel of normalcy as I increasingly become unaware of the REALITY in UK and elsehere.

I managed to meet a friend several days after we planned to have met at a supermarket but I didnt go as I felt my wrists were too insecure to drive.  So, a few days later,  on a very very wet day we did.  She was anxious I should receive superfluous tomato plants to get them into the ground. The last was welcome as we sat more than two metres apart for two hours, having done a walk around a gardened area of a public health spa, where the grounds were becoming wild.
The fact that gardeners have not controlled Nature has been a very good thing for all birds, bees, butterflies, insects, small mammals and humans. I have learned to really love the wild woods and empty streets. I've loved my short and one hour walks without usually seeing a soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.