Thursday 24 July 2014

Accomplished on Wednesday

Work started on sanding shutters and doors which were last worked at by my own fair hands within a few weeks of owning this property. Why? Because they were either white or brown. Can't remember without consulting photographs.  I consulted my son by telephone, as we seem to be getting on much better. He said that if bare wood was showing after sanding, then to prime with undercoat because top coat would key better! So all 7 shutters and doors were sanded and half were coated with B.I.N. primer which does not need sanding! Whoopppeee!  With Workawayer ii, we hope to finish at least one top coat on all 7 on Thursday.
The small room window overlooking the road, though hidden behind shutters, revealed that it had never had a top coat on it...(out of sight, out of mind!)  but it had been sanded.... so a quick damp clean of all the cobwebs and dust, then a light sand.  I managed to get two top coats painted. In all 10 hour man hours of labour,  plus I did an hour at lunch time finding paint, preparing paintbrushes, putting cardboard on ground. The window had to be left open all night with shutters closed because I didn't want the draught insulation tape to peel off, nor the window to stick to the frame. Workawayer ii had to move bedroom, which was a good thing anyway as it needs a clean. Despite what I said about keeping windows and doors closed, or open with shutters closed, to keep his room cool, a plague of flies infested his room! Indeed, today there is an untold plague of flies, unseen in the four years I have lived here, so burning citronella candles and have placed squashed garlic on a saucer in rooms!
In addition, I walked long strides first thing in the morning to stretch the leg muscles, swept the courtyard, watered the potager, washed the linen, did the ironing, prepared fish pie with sautéed potatoes newly dug from my garden, served with steamed broccoli and a nice Burgundian Chardonnay................
All praises sung to Workawayers!
However, although I am a hard taskmaster, I am a good host, so do expect a little extra on the domestic side without having to ask and I was trained to say: "Is there anything I can do to help?" or just pitch in and help!  I am trying to educate but perhaps he thinks it is I with the problem! Hey ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.