Friday 18 July 2014

Workawayer II

Unexpectedly, he arrived one day early. Fortunately I was at home so he didn't have to wait too long for me to drive an hour to collect him.  Then it was Sunday, with a Festival in the village for two days. It rained 32mm! On Monday, the sun remembered it was July. After a morning and afternoon stroll along streets, a climb up and down stone steps to browse 'Les Artisanales', we were ready to view 'le chateau' whilst sitting on the lower terrace of 'La Bellevue' with a cold drink in our hands!
Savoury bread for lunch but my own tastes better...so an inspirational purchase
Afternoon birthday cake enjoyed on 13th July rather than 11th. Malheureusement, I had to share, but it still lasted two days!
Evening meal - A Mighty Fine Fish pie
Akin to the Feu de St Jean .. but this one for Bastille day
Rockets propelled skywards to commemorate the Storming of La Bastille.
For Bastille Day we watched superbly loud fireworks across the river from St Savin Abbaye.
Day 2 of work broke into the chore of chopping and sawing kindling wood.  I helped to re-organise the wood store.  I worked from 8 to 8 which is the longest physical workday I have done since helping my friend move house!  I like physical work better when there is another person with me so that I can feel motivated and energised.
There is no more brown skirting board in Le Grand Salon!... and  there is a re-arrangement of furniture.  The staircase will be sanded!  We shared a french lesson on ce, cet, cette, ces as well as celui-ci etc... We are going to try and speak French every day and explore expressions, vocabulary  and of course le grammaire!
The workawayer. com suggestion is to do 5 hours max each of five days. However, they are expected to help with domestic duties, to share cooking and clearing up! There is always a never-ending list of jobs for the host or the guest. It is hard work for me as a host. I have high standards even with my own mess so work never seems to stop unless I flop!
The mower cable had to be rewired. As he didn't know how to do that... the modern person only ever sees sealed plugs, I did it!  The other mower possibly has to have the carburetor cleaned as it is churning out blue smoke!  I am unhappy because moles are making mountains under the cherry tree on my other land! I am also unhappy because someone has borrowed or stolen a plant trough...value 10 euros including plants and soil. There were eleven plus two concrete ones on the roadside so they decided to take a central one with red and white geraniums!  Why take that one in the middle of the row!! Ggggrrrr!  I am also unhappy that no one seems to have skills to repair bicycles so I am going to have to take the third one I have in my possession for a service... rusty brakes it seems!  I am beginning to feel rusty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.