Monday 28 July 2014

Monday afternoon

A little space to myself as Workawayer ii, who it seemed did not like walking, has suddenly come alive, and he and the pretty Girl from Ohio have gone for a walk together. I am not sure if she planned to go alone! However, they are both extremely pleasant and hard working!  There are quite a few jocular statements about me being a hard taskmaster, about the teacher in me and how I don't like to waste anything but find a use for it if I can! I used to take the first two statements as criticisms from people but now I laugh it off and this morning I have joked back! ... I am who I am and isn't that wonderful? ... for the first and longest period in my life (about a year) I have really been loving myself!
The dynamics have changed and we are having such fun. I couldn't get to sleep last night because of Workawayer ii keeping lights on until after midnight but I had to get up especially when I discovered the bright light was the fridge door open and Workawayer ii making a comment about a fly in the fridge! I expect he was getting iced water.  He doesn't raid the larder! They are such trustworthy people!
Saturday I was really wound up, nervous and well behind in prepping living areas. It was a two hour return journey so I decided to enter the centre of Poitiers because it was SO HOT and I was too ratched up! I needed to eat a sandwich and instead ate a strange cheap meal.  Later, Wii and I had a terrible shopping experience in a new VAST Leclerc superhypermarche which had the smallest of fruit and veg sections I have ever seen! I was so glad to be home to a cup of Earl Grey tea!

Today, we were supposed to head off into my attic (!!!!!) to sort sheet music.... but I needed to get started things finished... both Workawayers cleaned windows whilst I cleaned the Oval Room and Kitchen.  Wii sawed wood into two correct lengths to replace missing mattress supports, then painted undercoat.  After that he was sent to find woodworm killer and apply, as I discovered some under the staircase treads and in the cupboard beneath that, which the previous occupant used as cold store for wine! My very own 'cave'! Workawyer iii unexpectedly weeded my courtyard, deheaded pot plants and transplanted the almost spent 'pinks'.  It all looks so neat and respectable in my courtyard! I like initiative!
We had a lunch of quiche, sprouted mung beans (neither had tasted those before and one did not like them), lentils, olives, homemade bread and goats cheese, apples, water and tea... oh yes...and bread and raspberry jam.
Tomorrow the attic and remove the ivy from a stone wall!
This pm I poached the rest of the apricots and made an apricot shortcake and bread!
Now there is the top coat for the bed to paint, clear my living room and move paint on a temporary basis so that we can get on with more sorting. I only have four or five days of 10 hours work to make the best of!
It was initially a shock to me. I have worked alongside all my Workawayers and number ii was surprised!  It has been motivating, energising, demanding of my energy, reminded me of proactive planning and reactive planning, been great to have company and someone to share meals with, and occasionally to have someone to cook for me! I have not lived with anyone other than my children, a husband/partner, or when guests arrive for a few days, since 40 years ago when I lived with my husband and his business partner in three different houses (Surbiton and two villages in Suffolk) ...and no, before you think wild things, we were husband, wife and just a very best platonic friend! It was kind of student style but AJH paid us rent!
I have been on an enormous learning curve, having to emerge like a butterfly from a hermit crab lifestyle.
After my fears and trepidations which were immense, I am absolutely loving it!  I love nice people, young people who are willing to learn.  I hope that this week we can learn from each other.  I hope we can share cooking, get some activity, and learn about each other a little more... as well as achieve and finish tasks!
We enjoyed the brocante yesterday but it was too hot to be wandering. I bought a wooden heart shaped box as a future gift for someone!  They made very complimentary remarks about the party that we were invited to that afternoon / evening.  It was an excellent 'do' where food didn't stop arriving and the music was excellent. The international company was interesting and intriguing and celebrated the notional idea that a Granary was 800 years old!  It was good to be amongst acquaintances and new people with my Workawayers.  Thank you to S&S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.