Monday 14 July 2014

Villandry restaurant - Le gosier sec

Avoir le gosier sec means to have a dry throat and hence to be thirsty and need to have a drink because it is hot.  In the nineteenth century it seems it was possibly used to describe someone whose stomach changed shape and who became bloated! I suppose it would describe the actions of someone who creates a beer gut... or the person who props up the bar! A drinker! An alcoholic!
Hence that mural at the back of the cave of the restaurant! Maybe? 
As I haven't eaten other than a salad which was basically "construction on a plate" I cannot comment about the food or cooking. The proprietress was very welcoming and the tablecloths were colourful and clean.  I was quickly served. But twenty minutes after I arrived ( it was 3pm) two people were turned away.  I thought the toilet walls needed repainting or rendering... and I really don't like to use fabric towels  that others have used! I would need to wash my hands again!
The restaurant is under new management but even so...I think something could be done with the walls inside the cave!  It seemed that the menu was a very reasonable price with choice of small or large which suited me extremely well. I wish them luck with changing what have been poor reviews in the past.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.